Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Truman Syndrome

Truman Syndrome is a form of psychological delusion in which the patient believes that he or she is trapped inside in a reality television show, or that people are monitoring his or her every move. The name for this syndrome is a reference to The Truman Show, a 1998 film which revolved around a character who was living his entire life on camera without being aware of it. To those of sound mind, Truman Syndrome might sound a bit ludicrous, but not dangerous, although this is not, in fact, the case: this condition can actually be very dangerous for the people who suffer from it.

The above is the definition of the Truman Syndrome. I found the information on www.wisegeek.com and I believe it is a trust worthy site only bearing to the fact that it gives such a great analysis of what the movie was about and how people have taken into effect of how we think we’re being watched by the government or the media both in my opinion is true.

I think people feel they’re on T.V. because there is a constant state of security when it comes to a powerful country as ours with the military present almost all over the place even in private sections of Manhattan, so even I a New Yorker I feel like I can’t even turn my head in this town anymore with the fear of being followed or watched all over by people. Maybe not to the extreme that has been presented by the Truman show but it was enough to open my eyes to certain truth’s in my society and the one we are living in right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment